Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Girl Scouts

I was a Junior Girl Scout way back when and now have the pleasure of being a Brownie Scout leader for my youngest daughter. Tonight is the Bridging Ceremony, where all the scouts who are ready, move up to the next level and my youngest will be bridging to Juniors. Since I am a leader, I will get to participate in the ceremony, and I am so excited. It has been a wonderful year, watching the girls gain self confidence, through badge activities, games and crafting. They are all like sponges, just soaking up all the new things they are introduced to at every meeting. Fairy houses and flower fairies, nature mobiles, food self portraits, yogurt flavor inventing and tasting, soap making, international games, role playing, recycling crafts, cookie math, camping, singing...and so much more. I love to see them start, some quite shy and unconfident, others with enthusiasm and bullish charm, but all through the processes, learning and helping each other, by the end, all very happy and with a new sense of accomplishment.
I will also be moving onto the Junior leader position this summer, and I look forward to the our "garden" meetings at the library because we adopted our own 8x9ft patch! So we will be gardening, crafting with nature and having picnics all summer, save for those rainy days, when we will explore the inside of the library!

No comments: